Several African nations are not among the countries authorized to vote for the award of the 2022 Ballon d’Or. This decision is the result of new reforms introduced by the organizer of the prestigious trophy. Therefore, only twenty (20) African countries have the right to vote.
Now, in accordance with the new reforms, the distinction is awarded at the end of each season.
Meanwhile, the size of the jury goes from 170 journalists to 100. The voters will only be from the top 100 countries in the FIFA rankings.
In this case, only to 20 nations on the African continent are given the right to vote.
Here is the list of eligible African countries according to the FIFA ranking of June 2022.
1) Senegal (18th worldwide)
2) Morocco (22nd worldwide)
3) Tunisia (30th worldwide)
4) Nigeria (31st worldwide)
5) Cameroon (38th worldwide)
6) Egypt (40th worldwide)
7) Algeria (41st worldwide)
8) Mali (46th worldwide)
9) Ivory Coast (52nd worldwide)
10) Burkina Faso (55th worldwide)
11) Ghana (60th worldwide)
12) South Africa (68th worldwide)
13) Cape Verde (72nd worldwide)
14) DR Congo (73rd in the world)
15) Gabon (79th worldwide)
16) Guinea (83rd in the world)
17) Zambia (88th in the world)
18) Uganda (90th in the world)
19) Benin (91st in the world)
20) Congo (99th worldwide)
The Ballon d’Or 2022 will be the 66th annual ceremony of the event organized by France Football. It will be held at the usual place, at Théâtre du Châtelet in Paris on Monday, October 17, 2022.